Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Succulent Chair

I have been asked to talk about my succulent chair that I created last summer.   I found a broken, rusty chair in a thrift store for $5.00.   I cleaned it off and put a ton of coats of primer on the chair. Then I hit a quandary, what color to paint it?

 I reached out on facebook and got tons of ideas from my talented succulent artist friends.   I had decided to go with a peachy pink if I could find it.   What happened next was serendipitous, the store was out of peachy pink, but had lots of copper on sale. 


Success!   I adore this color and I could see succulents matching it well. 

Then I planted it, using a thick layer of sphagnum moss on the bottom, a "mountain" of amended potting soil in the middle then more moss on the top.   I nestled the plants through the moss and tucked it around the plants.   I had expected to have to hot-glue or wire the plants or moss in place, but everything just stayed where I put it. Here is the chair planted :


The finished product!   Here it is grown in a little more:


I have some more "broken" furniture and other such things for junque art in the future.  I can't wait for next season, so I can bring my chair out and spruce it up, it has survived the winter fine, it just isn't as happy as I would like. 
Find me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Succulent-Bliss/453394551402522
Only forty more days till spring!


4 comments:

  1. That chair looks really great! I love the color you painted it! Now I hope noone sits in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they had better not try to sit in it! Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  2. This is inspiring! Thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete